Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fragile Child Syndrome

We went to see Isaac's pediatrician today as a follow-up and so he's on page with all that has happened in the last three weeks. He has been a source of support for us too while in the hospital, called to check-in and sent a stuffed animal and balloon. He was devastated by the news when he first heard as well.

The follow-up went well. The concern of keeping Isaac's head protected is what we're moving forward with here. And of course the paralysis on the left side of his face. I'm seeing it become more pronounced which is hard.

Anyway, he said one of the big concerns and what we need to be careful of is going forward as parents with Fragile Child Syndrome. I did some research and haven't actually found this to be an actual medical diagnosis but our doctor said it's similar to post traumatic stress disorder. It's just us going forward and working on not treating Isaac like every bump and bruise is the end of the world. Obviously right now we are very over protective. It's just that way. You would be too. But as the fractures heal, the need to be over protective is going to decrease and it might be hard as a parent to let that go. I totally get it and I admit that it may be hard for awhile to let it not affect how we treat Isaac. . . but we'll always try to do what's best for him. And sometimes, as the doctor pointed out, what's best for him may be different from what's best for us. Ya follow?

He recommends I stay home with Isaac for awhile longer to give him the 1:1 attention he needs right now and just take it day by day, week by week. His daycare is working with us and when we drop Sydney off in the mornings, I let him play a little with me supervising so he gets used to it. Actually a nice transition for him!

We have appointments upon appointments for a little while. Followups mostly. We still are not sure if he'll need some rehab. I think a lot depends on what happens with his face. His speech is sometimes difficult to understand. Like he's had some dental work done if that makes sense....

Nap times have been a challenge. I can't leave him alone in his room. I can't or I won't - not sure really. Obviously the best to err on the side of caution in my opinion! So we've changed out his crib and put a mattress on the floor. It's not really working. Nap times and bed times are a pain and he needs good sleep. So I just keep trying. I'm counting on we'll find what works best right before he goes back to daycare and has to acclimate again!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Yep, that is perfectly understandable that you would be very protective over him for a while. I think it will lessen as things get better and he begins to heal really good. Little boys are always rough and tough and going to get hurt.

I think maybe "child proofing the home" would be more of a way to deal with things inside that could cause an accident. But outside on a playground later is going to be a big challenge for you guys.

You will want him to be able to play and protect him at the same time. You will most likely wear yourself out at some point with worrying so much and learn to just let nature and life take its course.

But what do I know, I never even had any children! But I do dog and cat proof my home and yard and am constantly keeping them in mind.

I'm sorry to hear the paralysis is becoming more pronounced. Any indication from the doctor's it will get better with time?

Still keeping all of you in our prayers, happy that you are home, and praying for the best.

Love, Nancy

matsonaj said...

It really makes sense. I would be the same way. You are doing such a amazing job as a mom. Make sure, even really hard too take time for yourself to regroup. You have a amazing son. Sydney and Issac are lucky to have parents like you two. Its all about Babysteps :) Enjoy this beautiful weekend. There is some serious football tomorrow :) To enjoy with your crew

ronnie said...

ya`ll will get past this too. anyone would be overprotective at this stage of recovery. hang in there and it will all work out. heard you and lyndon were going to the seahawks game. a well deserved break.

love and prayers
ronnie and vickie

Bassocantante said...

hang in there..
hopefully the paralysis will ameliorate with age?

hugs to you all...

Anonymous said...

We just started playing soft kids music or books on CD to get Soren to stay in his bed at night, I totally didn't think it would work but it has, worth trying if you haven't tried before or you could always resort to the "mommy needs to go on drive" and get some coffee and drive around until he falls asleep. I have been doing that for a week now for nap time. Elsa and Soren nap at the same time right now so that is really my only option since soren is like Issac he doesn't just stay in bed and go to sleep.

25 days until our night out!! Hope to see you before that if I can figure out a good day to come down.

Hang in there lady, your doing an amazing job and this to shall pass!

Loves,
Rach