Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Few Things

This weekend has gone really well. Isaac continues to progress which is so amazing and such a blessing. It's like we've been watching the last two years of his life on fast forward. Blurry vision to focusing, learning to grasp, popping bubbles, saying some words and now crawling a bit. And yes, we get just as excited as the first time it happened!

We're still hoping to move to Children's tomorrow. The following could, however, prevent the move: 1) they don't have the space or 2) they won't take him because he still requires oxygen at night. His levels still dip into the 80s so the nurse has instructed me to get him to cough every time they start to dip. It could be a LONG night! But I will get through it.

We moved into a bigger room today because we anticipated a few more visitors than normal because TOMORROW ISAAC TURNS 2!!!! We had a little party with family and he got a few more cars, trucks, balls and Thomas goodies!

One thing that has really bothered me since we got here that I wanted to bring to everyone's attention... some babies/young kids are here and have no one with them. Meaning their parents just drop them off and leave. Don't spend the night with them, don't visit, nothing. It hit closer to home today because there is a little girl next to us....little....I would guess 9 months and she is all alone in her little crib. A few times a day a volunteer comes to hold her but other than that, she is alone. The nurse shared with me that her mother called yesterday to check on her. Can you imagine??? We don't go to the bathroom without someone else watching Isaac. I know that may be a little over the top but it's just the way we are. It's so sad. Please keep these little angels in your thoughts and prayers. If I could volunteer to be one of the holders, I would!

In anticipation of our move tomorrow, I've packed up the camera cords so although I would love to share some cute pictures from today, I can't. I hope to get a chance to blog tomorrow but with it being the BIG day - I may not be able to.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Eagerly watching your posts and rejoicing with you in each bit of good news along this unexpected journey. I just wanted to comment on your post regarding the children that are at the hospital without their parents. I feel your pain and your heartbreak. Our daughter was in NICU at UW after her birth and out of the 12 babies in our room, only the parents for half the children came to see them on a regular basis. And like you we never left our daughters side. I wanted to snuggle each of those babies. I've checked in and most of our area hospitals have waiting periods for volunteer holders so one thing we can do is make blankets and hats. I would be interested in what they accept for the older children.

ronnie said...

it`s good to see that isaac is progressing so well. you can tell him happy birthday from his aunt vickie and uncle ronnie in texas but he has no clue who you`re talking about. lol. i`m so glad you have this blog to keep us updated and i`ve sent it to a few others (vics family) so they could see the updates and know who they are praying for. love and prayer

ronnie and vickie

Moore Family said...

Rebecca, I am glad to hear Isaac is doing better! I know my sister has had amazing experiences at Children's with her daughter, they are frequent visitors with her disabilities. Trinity had surgery when she was about 13 months and we were in the hospital a couple nights. I too felt so sad for the rooms I would walk by, and a couple were babies in cribs, and no one there with them. We fought the nurses to let us both stay the night, so we could be there. It is saddening to see some children not have that love around them.

Jon said...

Wish Happy Birthday to Issac from our family.

Love Lots!!

Jon & Nancy

Scrapping in Circles said...

Katie, when we asked they told us donations of activities for older kids are always welcome. Especially things that are used up like paints, play dough, and other craft items. They will bring activities to the patients in their rooms when they can't travel to the activity room and they give them out for siblings as well.

They have some great volunteers who come to rock or play with the kids. Some of them are teens who come after school once a week. How awesome is that!

I wondered about those children without a parent with them too and tried to picture what I would have done without my parents, family, and friends helping. If I didn't have all them, I don't know that I could have stayed with my little guy 24/7 since I have two older children. I'm sure I would have been there daily still, but maybe I had a job that I would lose if I missed work. Maybe that job was the only way I could support my family. I know that isn't the reason for all those parents to be missing, but I have to have hope that most have a good reason to be gone. It's too sad to think that they just don't care enough to be there.